Mallacoota & District
Historical Society Inc.
The Bunker Museum is vital in the understanding and interpretation of Mallacoota’s unique WW2 history and also provides a facility to preserve and display the Society’s local history collection.
The bunker is a restored RAAF Advanced Operations Base, which was part of a chain of high security wartime defence bases located around the Australian coastline. It was the headquarters of RAAF coastal intelligence activity in the region and is of considerable significance in the military history of Victoria.
In addition to an extensive WW2 Military Collection, exhibits at the bunker museum include:
- Mallacoota Inlet, town and surrounding district
- Lake View – the first town at Mallacoota
- The wreck of the SS Riverina and
Lifeboat Preservation Project
- A century of tourism at Mallacoota
- Mined off Mallacoota – the WW1
sinking of the Cumberland by the
German raider ‘Wolf’
- ‘On the Home Front’ – domestic life in the 1940s
- E J Brady and Henry Lawson
- Gabo Island
- Pioneers and early settlers
- Early farming, mining and fishing industries
- Shipwrecks, boats and fishing trawlers
- Local power generation – electricity supply before 1972